Cosy Cocktails to Keep You Warm this Winter
Cosy Cocktails to Keep You Warm This Winter
Cooler nights and shorter days call for winter warmers! To celebrate winter at World Gin Day (13 June), we have pulled together some of our favorite (and delicious!) recipes to keep you toasty at home. Enjoy responsibly!
Hot Gin Toddy from Ladies & The Camp
- 1 bottle of Gin
- 1 bottle of Madeira Wine
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves (+ extra to garnish)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Fruit of choice (e.g., tin pineapple)
1. Set up your drinking vessels - add some fruit to a mug and cover with the desired amount of gin to infuse. Set aside.
2. Mix fruit, spices, honey, and lemon juice with the Madeira wine. Heat over a slow flame to gradually warm without burning off the alcohol.
3. Pour wine mix over the gin-infused fruit
4. Find a spot with a view and enjoy your creation!
(Be sure to check Ladies & The Camp out for more delicious cocktail for camping and beyond - including the most indulgently deliciously Hot Chocolate Cocktail that would be perfect for a night of Indoor Camping)
* * *
Dani’s Mulled WineMulled wine is our CEO's go-to winter warmer. Her recipe isn't too formal - its more about tossing in whatever sweetener and fruit you have on hand into the pot with wine, and flavouring to taste!
- 1-2 bottles of red wine (lighter varietals like Pinot or Tempranillo preferred)
- 1/2 cup Brandy
- Oranges, peeled and juiced
- Honey, maple syrup, or sugar
- Peel and juice oranges.
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker or large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If feeling fancy, top with orange peel and a cinnamon stick!
Photo by Gaby Dyson on Unsplash
* * *Hot Buttered Rum from The Spruce Eats
A comforting and warm classic for cold nights! This can easily be made vegan by swapping out the butter for Nuttalex or other non-dairy substitutes.
- 1 tablespoon soft butter (soft)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 5 ounces hot water
- Place butter and spices in a mug. Mix or muddle together.
- Pour in rum and top with hot water.
- Stir and enjoy!
- Optional - top with whipped cream
* * *
This classic American Christmas drink isn’t too common in Australia - meaning you may have to make from scratch versus just buying a carton in the milk aisle like in the US. But if you are feeling adventurous (and like cream and eggs), here is a recipe to try at home. Bourbon is optional, making it a great all-ages winter warmer.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 litre whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 90 mL bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
2. Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
3. Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.
Cook's Note: For cooked eggnog, follow the procedure below.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.
Photo from Pinterest
Stay Merry everyone!