Support Local with these 5 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas from Kelly Thompson & Maker’s Mrkt
Looking for a unique gift for mum this Mother’s Day? To make your shopping easier, we have reached out to Kelly Thompson, the creative mind behind Makers’ Mrkt, for her 5 Mother’s Day gift ideas.
Kelly is a New Zealand artist currently based in Melbourne. With an Honours degree in Design, she has worked as a photographer, commercial illustrator and a multidisciplinary designer in an array of industries from fashion to interiors. Building on that knowledge and experience, she has created Makers’ Mrkt, an online home and lifestyle store.
Makers’ Mrkt is all about is “nice things made by nice people” -- which is definitely an ethos we love! Not just your normal online shop, Makers' Mrkt is focused on supporting freelancers, craftspeople, and small businesses. They place value on high quality sustainably produced products, often handmade, hand printed or handspun. Their curated and beautiful shop edit comprises items that are never mass-produced, are made with care and much heart, often as one-off items or in limited editions. With such a loving attention to detail, when you shop from Makers’ Mrkt, you are supporting a small business having a go at following their passions -- and getting some very "nice things made by nice people"!
With that experience and knowledge, we know Kelly will be able to help you find the perfectly special gift to spoil mum with this year! Whether she loves being pampered, finds peace in the garden, or is an interiors queen, keep reading to discover her top 5 Mother’s Day gift ideas that are sure to bring a smile to your mum's face.
You can also enter for a chance to win a special gift from Makers’ Mrkt in our Merry Makers Mother’s Day Giveaway!
Words by Kelly Thompson
1. I love the idea of gifts that help people relax or feel good or elevate their space. While it can be risky to choose art or decor items for someone else I think every mum or every person appreciates a beautiful throw or blanket!
I love the new Pyramid Blanket by Seljak, the colours would be complementary to most spaces and they can either be used as a blanket, a throw on the couch or even hung on the wall as an art piece. Best part is they're made from 75% recycled lambswool and with every 10 blankets purchased one is donated to the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre.
2. If you're just wanting a little treat that still has pamper appeal the So.Ah soaps smell amazing! They're also handmade, containing high-quality, organic ingredients and therapeutic grade, 100% plant-based oils, they are gentle on the skin and vegan, cruelty-free, and free from synthetic colours and palm oil.
Each and every So.Ah product is carefully made in small batches by founder Erin at her Kaipara Harbour studio in beautiful Aotearoa, New Zealand.
3. I always like the idea of a gift being part of an experience, why not make breakfast in bed with her morning cuppa delivered in a fun Abs Objects mug like the Scissor mug or the L70 mug.
4. For the mum who loves to garden why not give her garden friends a glam home of their own, Gidon Bing has released a ceramic bird house that is quite simply perfect and will no doubt become prime real estate with the birds in the backyard!
5. Sometimes you want to gift something simple, elegant and special that is simply an object for enjoyment. The Drew Spangenberg Ensemble Bottles in yellow and white are so refined and balanced it is amazing to think that they are made by hand right here in Australia. Mum can use them as decanters, or better still arrange them with her favourite objects for the ultimate shelfie.